BROWN BREAD ICE CREAM
- 130g sugar
- 4 Egg yolks
- 220ml cream
- 200ml milk
- 1/3 vanilla bean
- 250ml volume stale brown bread crumbs
- 75g dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
What to do:
- Cut the vanilla bean lengthwise and put in a saucepan with the milk.
- Bring the milk to a simmer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir for about a minute. Remove the vanilla bean.
- Beat the sugar and egg yolks together until thick and pale yellow.
- Beat the warm milk into the eggs and sugar in a slow stream (don’t over mix).
- Pour the mixture back into pan, and place over low heat.
- Stir until the custard thickens (around 60C).
- Allow the custard to cool.
- Stir in the cream.
- Melt brown sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat until the sugar crystals have dissolved.
- Stir in the bread crumbs and allow to cool.
- Freeze the mix using a domestic ice cream machine, or cover and place in the freezer.
- Add the brown bread once the ice cream is thick.
Notes: 1. Use a very dark brown bread for best results. 2. If it is a fresh loaf, you can crush it into crumbs, spread it on a baking tray, and bake it at low temperature (50C) for a couple of hours to dry it out. 3. A fast way to make (small) bread crumbs is to use a blender or food processor.